Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Pinoy Henyo

I once read on a UBC International Student Handbook as I was waiting for Arts advising, that "it is very common to go through a period of transition upon your return home, which is sometimes referred to as re-entry shock". Even though I've been away for a year, I have yet to experience this so-called re-entry shock.

I don't know how familiar you are with Filipino noon-time shows (I can predict a con-fuzzled look just about now), but this type of entertainment is very big here. When I say BIG, the country is at a standstill as they watch TV during their lunch break. Anyway, a certain portion of the show is dedicated to a game called Pinoy Henyo- Pinoy is an amicable name used to call Filipinos, and Henyo means genius!
The mechanics of Pinoy Henyo is that one person tries to guess the word that is plastered on their forehead by asking the other person clues that are answerable by 'yes' or 'no'. If they guess all the words from a pre-selected list correctly within the given time, they win the prize money. If not, they obviously don't win the money and some host of the show who is randomly drawn beforehand, gets dunked with some sticky, colourful substance. It's pretty funny to watch as the contestants struggle to guess the right word and give clues. It's a great way to chuckle mid-way through your day. 

A clip of how the game is played can be seen here (you may want to skip till 2:10, the rest is some Filipino gibberish you may not understand): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAyUarWes-Q

For this particular day, the first item they were trying to guess was a vegetable- sitaw, which is like the green beans found at your local grocer.

Watching the show just reminded of some typical Filipino things, such as noon time shows and always having a smile on the face. I felt lucky that I may never have to experience the re-entry shock. When you come to think of it, it's hard to experience the said shock when the culture is based on laughter. 
On this note, I'd like to remind everyone to keep it light and funny throughout the day; after all laughter has been said to be the best medicine of all time! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment