I've been mulling over a new topic for my next blog entry when I decided to write about rain. Yes you heard me correctly, RAIN. Why might you ask, would I write about such a thing? Well as many of you know, I live in Vancouver most of the year. Anyone from there can attest to the abundance of rainfall we receive with the exception of the summer months.
I am originally from the Philippines so when I get my summer break from UBC, I go to visit the fam-jam. Unfortunately, monsoon season in the Philippines falls between the months of June to September. Just my luck, that those would be the exact months of my summer break.
Ever since I got here, I think it has rained every single day. I always think that I'd be used to it by now, but it always gets me and I keep wishing for a little sunshine. I guess it's nature's payback from living in Qatar for four years where it rained on average, once every year. Anyway, in light of today's weather I thought I'd post some interesting facts about, well, rain:
1. Rain drops can fall at speeds of about 22 miles an hour.
2. Rain drops do not fall in a tear drop shape, they originally fall in the shape of a flat oval.
3. The name monsoon originated from an arabic word mawsim which means season.
4. The most rain to fall in a single 24 hour period is 1,850mm at Cilaos, Reunion Island (close to Mauritius!) between 15 and 16 March 1952.
5. The wettest place in the world, based on the average number of rainy days received each year, is Mt Wai-'ale-'ale, Hawaii (I guess Vancouvs has nothing on Hawaii).
Days like these make me even more grateful for sunny, wonderful weather. I hope wherever you guys are, that you are experiencing beautiful sunshine!
No comments:
Post a Comment